At Dedoose, we take the business of developing code systems very seriously, and we aren’t the only ones. A quick Google search for ‘coding qualitative data’ yielded about 1.1M hits and ‘qualitative code system development’ landed me about 12M hits. Clearly people are thinking and communicating a great deal on this most central aspect of sound qualitative and mixed method data analysis.
So, in short, You and Your Team are the Method:
- Identify the concepts you need that can really be found in the data
- Build out contextualized code application rules
- Practice, practice, practice
- Document, document, document
- Establish strong inter-rater reliability
Nail all that down and Go TEAM GO! Divide and Conquer!;